The lawmakers approved a total 2017 Budget size of N214.921 billion, up from the N172bn approved for 2016. This is made up of Recurrent expenditure of N83.46bn and capital spending ofN131.45 bn. The budget ratio is 61:39 in favor of capital.
The state governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, presented the draft budget of Jobs, Social Justice, and Equity to the House of Assembly on 12th October 2016.
The 2017 budget is designed to deliver the following outcomes:
• Completion of the Zaria Water Project
• Unprecedented Rebuilding and Equipping of Schools
• A massive programme to rehabilitate, maintain or rebuild Township Roads
• Creation of a green economic zone – an Agro-Industrial Park along Abuja Road
• Provision of infrastructure in Mining Sites and Rural Areas
• Conversion of Doka Hospital on the Kaduna-Abuja Expressway into a Trauma Centre
• Expansion of the Post-harvest price support for farmers
• Anchor Borrowers Programme for six crops of comparative advantage,
• Kick-off the Kaduna Light Rail Phase to link Rigachikun with the Refinery, and
• Implementation of an Emergency Nutrition Intervention Programme to reduce malnutrition and hunger amongst our poorest citizens and children.